After reading the alarming results of a new study of the links between sugar and diabetes my colleagues at Optimal Learning Centre and I have decided to take on a 200 hour sugar elimination challenge. We are all going without any sugar at all for 200 hours. And we're challenging you to join us!
The challenge will begin at 9.00am on Monday May 20th and end at 5.00pm Tuesday May 28th. During this time we will not be consuming any sugar in any form at all. This means no:
* Sugar, honey, maple syrup, agave nectar, jam, spreads, etc
* Soft drinks, fruit juices, cordials
* Fruit - fresh or dried
* Sweets, lollies, chocolate
* Breads, cereals, cakes, muffins, etc
* Milk, yoghurt, ice cream (which contain lactose)
* Sauces, dressings
* Any product with an ingredient ending in -ose (which means it contains sugar)
What can we eat?
* All vegetables (although sweet corn should be kept to a minimum)
* Salad vegetables
* Meat (red and white)
* Fish and other seafood
* Poultry - chicken, turkey, quail
* Nuts and seeds, including tahini
* Water, herbal teas and juices from vegetables only (no fruit)
* Black coffee and tea, but why not go caffeine free too!
* Oils and fats - eg olive, flax, butter, avocado
* Herbs, spices, salt and pepper
* A twist of lemon juice may be added to water and salads to flavour
One important note is that eliminating sugar does not mean replacing it with sugar-free or artificially sweetened products. These products contain aspartame, a neurotoxic chemical, and is also linked to weight-gain and insulin resistance.